Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dissatisfied Kaplan Academy California High School

As parents most of us want what is best for our children. With the economy in the toilet and public education taking a huge hit I thought it would be best to put my son into Kaplan Academy of California, an on-line high school program that promised all the right things. Boy, was I wrong!

It has been nothing but a nighmare from the start. The teachers have changed so often I can't even keep track. Our academic advisor has changed at least three times and their supposed "Live" sessions were changed cancelled or never even happened. There has even been talk I hear of a class action lawsuit against them. This has been a horrible experience for me as a parent but it has been worse for my son. Now he is in jeopardy of not earning a whole semester's worth of credit.

I'd like to hear from other parents of Kaplan Academy High School students.

2 comments:

  1. My child is a student at Kaplan Virtual Academy and I couldn't be more disappointed. When we signed up, the recruiter said many things about the school that sounded fantastic; as it turned out, most of the things said were false. When attending the physical Master Agreement Conference, I was told that the recruiters had misinformation and much of the wonderful things said by the recruiter only applied to students who were paying directly and not through state funding. However, because we had already committed so many resources to go to Kaplan, we felt our options were limited and so we reluctantly joined. It seems to me that if the person at the Master Agreement Conference knew that the recruiter was giving misinformation that she could have made the appropriate phone calls to let them know not to misinform potential students about the program. I can only conclude that the reason that this hasn’t been done is in order to maximize profits. After much complaining, I was repeatedly told that Kaplan had accepted too many students and they were trying to play “catch up.” We are now towards the end of the first semester and the written responses of the quizzes and assignments which cannot be graded by a computer but actually require a teacher to read them are up to three weeks behind. When do they think they will actually be caught up? I am guessing after they cash the checks from the state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are leaving Kaplan regardless of whether they are caught up or not. This could mean that my son loses a semester of credit. Kaplan's semester is supposed to end Sept. 22nd. Our local school district semester ended before Christmas. My son is going back to public school. No matter how bad they say public school is in California it could not be worse than Kaplan Academy. I have refused to sign the master agreement for the spring semester and all of a sudden I have people from Kaplan asking me what was wrong. I even had someone call Christmas eve. I refused to talk to them then and I have emailed many people about what our complaints were.

    ReplyDelete